Friday, October 21, 2011

Oh What A Night

Well if you've been on Facebook or Twitter today, you've probably already heard all about all of this excitement and drama.

I was in sound asleep in bed thismorning when the phone suddenly rang at 4AM. Virtually no-one has been given my home phone number, so even in my half-asleep stupour, I knew exactly what that call meant.

The Transplant Co-Ordinator was on the other end of the phone telling me that they had found some new lungs for me, and that I needed to be at the Alfred by 6AM.

It probably took ten minutes for it to really register. I quickly called my sister. She asked me if I was 'tricking her'. I wouldn't call anyone at 4.15AM if I was just tricking!

Then came the mild panic - I was completely unprepared. I never expected to receive a call this quickly.... it's only been 7 weeks.

I jumped in the shower and covered myself in Phisohex (including my poor hair), got dressed as quickly as possible and then thought about what else I needed to do. My sister arrived and packed my bag as I did my nebs, tried to close my online shops, emailed stockists, emailed people waiting for orders, emailed my physiotherapist.

I think we finally made it into the car at 5.15, and headed towards the city. I called each member of my immediate family, and then spent the entire trip writing instructions - leave money in the meter box on Wednesday for the gardener, call to change certain appointments etc. Then I had to write a massive list of all my bank accounts / online accounts etc just in case my sister needed it. There was so much that we were already in the city by the time I'd finished.

Arriving at the Alfred, we headed straight into emergency and around to x-ray for a couple of chest films, then it was up to the 5th floor to start preparations.

The doctor put in a cannula and took bloods and filled in the paperwork, and I received my first dose of anti-rejection meds. I then just had to wait until theatre were ready for me.

At 8AM we headed down to theatre. It was at this point that I had to say goodbye to my sister.

Once inside, all the preparations began - lots of monitors connected - a line into the artery in the wrist to measure O2 levels, another large line in the arm for fluids, four lines in the neck, and five attempts at an epidural. Unfortunately due to my bone density problems, I've lost height and my vertebrae are too close together causing a nightmare for the poor anaesthetist.

The next step was to put me to sleep, but this doesn't happen until the new lungs have been inspected by the surgeons.

Unfortunately at 10.30, upon further inspection, it was found that the lungs couldn't be transplanted.....

Yes it's disappointing, but I need perfectly healthy lungs to give me a chance of a good outcome. I still have time and I'm quite sure that my new lungs will come soon.... and at least now I know exactly what to expect!

30 comments:

trudi@maudeandme said...

Only just caught up on blogs and read Punky and Me! My goodness what a day for you. Really sorry it didn't work out this time. I guess you will be prepared next time. Pretty please if you can spare the time , next time can you do a post just with maybe "it's time" or something brief? And then I can worry along with everyone else!xx

willywagtail said...

Sorr y it didn't work out but so glad you are this close to the new yoyu. Cherrie

Leonie said...

Wow! At least you will know what to expect next time :-)
Your sister will already have all the bank account details etc, it will probably be quicker and easier. Sorry you've missed out this time but as you say it's better to get awesome lungs rather than not so good ones.

bec said...

haha, if you crank called her at 4am, you probably wouldn't have a sister anymore! Sib woke me up at 4am the other morning and I asked her who she was, though. Such a bad time to ring people haha. Except when they are waiting for lungs. Er, you know what I mean!

Finki said...

What a crazy day for you. A trial run though for the real deal. Here's hoping there's another 4am call real soon. xx

Fee said...

A practice run is a good thing - Next time you'll go all the way hun. Hopefully it won't be long !! Hugs - Fee X

Stomper Girl said...

A little dress rehearsal then. Hopefully now, all your official letters and instructions are pretty much done, so next time you can just head on in. Hope the next phone call is soon.

Fiona said...

Wow Cam - what a day! I bet you feel like you've been on a roller coaster ride, but ti's good to find out what you need to do for when the call comes next time round and hopefully when that happens the lungs will be suitable.

Jennifer Rose said...

bit of a disappointment, but like other people have said, a bit of a tail run for when the lungs are a fit :) which is hopefully soon!

Lulu froufrou said...

Hopefully they will come soon for you!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I got so excited for you when I started reading this, sorry it didn't work out this time. I hope you receive another call really soon xx

Miss G said...

what a day! a great prep for the real thing though! I was thinking of you all through yesterday and kept checking twitter for updates. Healthy lungs will come for you and they will be perfect when the time is right. May the phone ring at some ungodly hour for you again soon! xox

Cherie said...

OMG ... OMG my heart skipped a beat when Vic posted and I was doing the wildest darn happy dance for you ... it's all good Darling, nothing like a dress rehearsal to get the adrenalin pumping. Massive, HUGE Hugs and LOVE coming your way Cam XOXO

sister outlaws said...

What a surreal rollercoaster day Cam. You must be completely worn out and overwhelmed with all sorts of emotions. A practice run is good thing I guess and I'm sure the perfect lungs will be there for you soon. Take care and Lots of love from us!!!

tartankiwi said...

What a rollercoaster for you! So sorry that it didn't work out for you this time, but at least you can take this as proof that there are compatible lungs out there for you, its just a question of a little patience.
Thinking of you and the difficult journey that you are travelling.

willow and moo said...

((hugs)) Cam. I hope this means that there will be a healthy set for you around the corner.

Tania said...

Lovely lady, the next time you get that call at 4am, you will be RIDICULOUSLY organised, ready and waiting. And I have everything crossed that the call for the perfect set of lungs comes super speedy-like. x

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

OK, for the 5th time I will try and leave you a comment (sorry blogger, I do not read Chinese)
Wow, what an experience. So sorry that this lung was not suitable - I hope there is a fantabulous one just for you, very soon.
Thinking of you, Cat xox

Naturally Carol said...

So sorry it wasn't to be this time! At least next time your sister will have her lists already and you'll know exactly what to expect. I am sure it won't be too long!

mel @ loved handmade said...

I'm sorry it wasn't to be this time round. Boy, you'll be super prepared for the next call though! Fingers crossed it's not too long between calls...x

Sally said...

Oh my Cam! It certainly was an emotional day and I'm on the other side of the continent. I was so excited and terrified for you when I read your tweet. And then so disappointed too when I read later in the day that the transplant hadn't happened. Having read your sister's tweet that you were in surgery I'd imagined that they'd cracked you open. So glad that they hadn't until they checked out the new lungs.
All of us here, my partner and the bigger kids, are hoping that it goes better next time. And that next time isn't too far away. All our love and best wishes to you dearest and most amazing woman.

Lisa said...

Thinking of you Cam.xxx

Car said...

As I already said, sorry things didnt go to plan this time, but now you know the deal it will hopefully be a touch scarier when the next call arrives xxx

I am glad you wrote this post, I too was wondering if they had started opening you up or not!

Libster said...

OH MY!!! my heart was in my mouth as I read your post, and then it sank. Im sorry it fell through this time but next time you will be posting bedside :)

I will run my 7km fun run tomorrow for you!

Tas said...

Oh Cam. What highs and lows. I am so sorry that it didn't workout...this time. Hope next time isn't far away.

Anna Bartlett said...

I've just read this! Wowee! You must feel like a pincushion! Watched House last night and it was all about a lung transplant. Talk about amazing! Looking forward to the time you post a very similar tale with really happy ending/beginning!

Elisha said...

oh, what a shame... was wondering how you could recover from a lung transplant enough to be back clogging after only missing a day... and thenn got to the end of the post and realised why... Hope you are in good spirits and that the opportunity arises again soon xx

Jennie said...

Do they only call in one patient when they've got a set of lungs, or call a few with a hope that one will be the perfect match?

I hope next time it's the right time. Maybe it'll only be another seven weeks.

Anonymous said...

oh Cam I am just a wee bit slow am only just catching up on things, can't believe what you went through!!! I have my fingers crossed for next time xxx

Megan said...

Wow, so amazing to read the whole process from your point of view! Mine was so much different, already in hospital and I really don't remember anything of the days leading up to the operation because of the level of toxicity in my brain. Such a pity the surgeons can't inspect the new organs before canulising (if that's a word), central lining, epiduraling and so on! Thankfully I didn't have to have an epidural, but I had all the other things.

Good on you for focusing on the positive of knowing what to expect next time, fingers crossed it comes any day now! And on another positive, all the phone numbers and bank accounts and lists are all ready to go now too!