Saturday, October 29, 2011

Distract Distract Distract

That's what I've been up to this week..... doing everything I can to stay busy and distract myself, hoping that this horrible sick anxious feeling will go away.

I went in and had a chat with the Transplant Social Worker yesterday. My reaction to the situation is completely normal after such a traumatic event. I have to be extremely careful not to get sick, and not to lose any weight. I need to keep my extra few kilograms of buffer weight before transplant. I'm forcing myself to eat once a day, even though I feel like I'm going to just throw up.

She confirmed that my distraction technique is a good one - keeping my mind busy every day.

I also visited a lung transplant recipient friend who is currently in hospital yesterday. It's so helpful to be able to chat with someone who has actually been through the experience and knows exactly how you feel. Even though I was supposed to be visiting to cheer her up, she actually helped me!

Fingers crossed that things will improve this week.

6 comments:

trudi@maudeandme said...

I'll cross my fingers too for you.

Michelle said...

Sounds like you know what is going on with your brain. You've been through a lot - so glad you're keeping yourself distracted.

Speaking of distractions, I mighta got you a little something-something from NY. No - not Tim Gunn unfortunately!

Stomper Girl said...

Oh it must be hard for you right now. Thinking of you and hoping for the best Cx

Fiona said...

Can't even begin to imagine how disruptive your near transplant experience was. Keeping yourself busy sounds like a great strategy. Hoping you get another call soon and this time the lungs are good.

Car said...

Oh Cam :(
One thing my psych told me (after I had myself in a knot of anxiety after my recent health issues and I know its totally NOT anywhere in comparison, Im just mentioning it because of the anxiety factor) was that it is ok to give in to your feelings of sadness, anger etc. I tried to make excuses why I shouldnt be sad, why I had no right to be angry. After embracing those feelings I was able tolet them go.

Distraction is a good thing too, keep distracting yourself, keep talking to people who are in the know and take thing each day as it comes.

Fingers crossed next time is the one, thinking of you xxxx

Naturally Carol said...

Lots of hugz for you today Cam..sounds like those are pretty normal feelings for someone who has been though what you have had to.